Search This Blog

Thursday 3 November 2011

Baking fail?

...at this point we just don't know.

The book club man came around at work today and, as I often do, I picked up the obligatory cookbook in his latest offerings.  And being something of a Cadbury whore, I was very happy that it was a Cadbury's chocolate cookbook.  I had a quick leaf through it in the staff room earlier in the week - there was nothing in it that particularly stood out, but for only £3 I figured it was worth picking up and looking at closer.  So this evening, about midway through Masterchef Australia, I decided I really wanted to bake something nice but simple tonight to take into work and share with my minions tomorrow.
I had a good read through and I found a nice simple Chocolate Mousse cake, which I already had all of the ingredients for except for 200g of dark chocolate, so I swiftly scooted up the road to pick that up, and then came back home and got to work.
Now this was a very new experience for me - baking a cake without any flour.  Might sound strange, but all it contained was chocolate, butter, eggs, sugar, and some orange liquor.  According to the recipe it was supposed to rise during baking, then sink during cooling, and then once cooled it should have a texture similar to that of chocolate mousse (but with all the added bonus of being a cake).  The downside to this recipe was that there was no photo accompanying it, leaving me with no idea as to how well I'd managed to make mine.
Anyways, I ploughed on undeterred, and about an hour and a half later I took my finished cake out of the oven and it looked beautiful... which was quite a pity because I knew that it was going to be collapsing in on itself imminently.  About 20 minutes later I came back to a sorry-looking cake, which was just about cool enough to take out of the cake tin and transfer to a plate.  So now I'm just left waiting until morning for it to have cooled completely so that I can try slicing it and see what the consistancy's like :) I'm quite nervous, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.  Unfortunately it still looks rather pathetic, so I wont be taking it in to share with the folks at work.  But anyways, yeah, I'm now just left counting down the hours and waiting to see if I've made an epic baking fail, or if I've managed to make an ugly looking cake with a soft and yummy heart ;-p

No comments:

Post a Comment