Search This Blog

Sunday 24 November 2013

Birmingham Memorabilia/Comic Con November 23rd 2013

It's been a while since I last posted (as usual!), sorry about that.  It's been a busy few months with my board game review blog taking off massively, a new relationship on the go, zombie appearances being booked (and subsequently cancelled), and a load of fun hobby times!
 
Well today's update is all about Birmingham Memorabilia/MCM Comic Con which is taking place over the course of this weekend!  I attended yesterday, and Zombie Walter White was putting in an appearance once again!  As with most zombie days, it started at an unreasonable hour of the day.  I was up at 5am so that I could start makeup at 5:30, in order to be leaving for the train station at 7:00 for an 8:30 arrival.  I went by myself, mostly so that I could spend the majority of the day not breaking zombie character, and I managed to achieve that fairly well :)  I did start speaking normally when people asked me direct questions, or broke character to wave at a couple of kids who were otherwise probably about to start crying at the sight of me!  Oh and I saw a couple cosplaying as Jon Snow and Ygritte out of Game of Thrones, so I chased after him shouting "Jun Snu!", but was happy to break character for that!
 
Anyways, I arrived at the NEC on time (I just made it onto the train as the doors were sliding shut!), and once I was in I immediately starting shuffling and groaning about the place.  I didn't have a massive budget, and the zombie contact lens obscured my vision so badly that I couldn't see most of the stalls' wares anyway, so that helped me to keep from overspending!  I did pick up one massive bargain though, in the shape of Sedition Wars - a tabletop system/board game which normally costs around £50, and I picked up a sealed copy for £10!
 
 
Aside from bargain-hunting (and taking any opportunity to dress up as Heizomberg), my main aim for the day was to meet Chris Barrie, aka Rimmer from Red Dwarf.  In past Memorabilias I've met Danny John Jules (Cat) and Craig Charles (Lister), and I've got Robert Llewellyn's (Kryten) autograph from sending him a fan letter when I was younger, but Chris Barrie was the one crew member I was yet to add to my collection.  The queue to meet him was quite long, but I was happy to wait, and he was happy to post for a photo with my very own Mr Flibble, which brought a massive smile to my face :)
 
 
Aside from meeting this legend and picking up my lovely cheap game, I managed to refrain from spending for the rest of the day (aside from lunch, obviously).  I was stopped for plenty of photos as usual, but on this occasion I actually made the effort to drop out of character and take photos of other folks' amazing costumes!  But before I end this post with a stream of photos, I have a begging favour to ask my readers...
 
 
Please like my photo by Mcm Expo on Facebook! :)  They were taking official photos and whichever one gets the most likes wins a Nintendo WiiU, which would make me a very happy zombie.

Anyways, here are my other photos of the day...


































 

2 comments:

  1. you were a very courteous zombie as you shuffled out of the way for me so I could get past in my big yellow dress lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I remember :D I figured there's no reason a zombie shouldn't still have manners!

    ReplyDelete