Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 November 2011

No one would have believed...

...that in the early years of the 21st century, Richard Burton would be replaced by Liam Neeson.

But apparently that's exactly what has happened.  I just received a text off an old workmate saying that there was a new tour of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds next December, and that Liam Beeson was playing Richard Button (don't you just love predictive text?).  Now I have to say I'm feeling well and truly divided over this.
I absolutely love Jeff Wayne's WotW and have been desperately waiting for another tour so I can go and see it live again, but I'm a little hesitant about Liam Neeson's role in it.  I think Neeson's a fantastic actor and he's got an amazing voice, but Richard Burton as the voice of the journalist is one of the most iconic things about Jeff Wayne's production.  Whenever I watch the dvd or listen to the soundtrack I always get chills when I hear Burton's opening monologue, and I don't think there's anyone who could match that.
That said, I would be very happy to be proven wrong in this matter.  The addition of Neeson to the big screen background sounds like it should be pretty cool, and if this is the direction that the live tour's going to take then I have no other choice but to give it a fair chance.

So, just a quick entry in light of some exciting/interesting/forboding news about my favourite stage show.  Hopefully in 12 months time I'll be eagerly blogging about how excited I am about going to see it in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment