Search This Blog

Sunday 6 March 2011

Good morning!

Well I've dropped off the radar somewhat lately, so I thought it's about time I updated and said hello to all the lovely people out there!

What can I talk about first?  Well I've had a bit of a movie fest over the last few weeks.  I don't usually go to the cinema very often, but in the last couple of weeks I went to see 3 films :) First of all I went to see The King's Speech, which I enjoyed very much and was very happy when it bagged the top Oscars.  As with any film based on actual events, it's been criticised a bit for its accuracy, but as someone who didn't know anything about that period in history I have to say I found it a fantastic piece of cinema.
The second film I went to see was Paul - the new film from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.  I've got to be honest, I was bitterly disappointed with that.  It had a few good moments once it got going, but it felt too American, and completely lacked the British charm that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz both had.  It had way too much swearing in it as well.  I don't mind swearing where appropriate, but this just felt as though they were throwing swear words into the script for the sake of it.  If I had to give it a rating out of 5 I'd give it a 2.
Then the third film was True Grit, the renake of the John Wayne western (which I admit I haven't seen), starring Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon.  I'm not normally a big western fan, but I thought True Grit had a good story, and the actors all played their roles fantastically - even though you couldn't understand Jeff Bridges half the time!

Outside of the cinema I bought Shutter Island on dvd, and so saw that for the first time.  That was a great film which kept you guessing all the way up until the ending.  I never really like Leonardo DiCaprio in his "pretty boy" roles such as Titanic, but he's grown up and matured into one of my favourite actors at the moment.  And I borrowed 2001: A Space Oddyesy off a friend at work, and so I saw that for the first time :) I liked it, and it was a beautiful piece of cinema, but I have to say it was very confusing!  I had to Google it to find out what the film was actually about!


So film-wise that's me updated.  In other news I'm about to have my first week off in 6 months :-D  I've not got anything planned, but it's going to be so nice to have some me-time again.  I fancy going to see The Adjustment Bureau at the cinema, but aside from that I'm probably just going to read a bit and maybe paint some more of my Warhammer models.  I had a massive clearout of my room yesterday as well.  Now my sister's moved out the loft's quite empty, so I moved all of the stock from my old anime stall out of my room and into the loft, which has created loads of space in here :) So one day next week I need to have a good tidy and get things spread out into those new spaces.


I think that's pretty much all the excitement to report!  Apart from the fact that I went to Woktastic in town last night with the work folks.  We had a good time, but I preferred Shogun Teppanyaki in the Mailbox.  The sake was good though ;)


Well I think that's me updated.  I'm just waiting for my best friend to text back to see if we're still on for coffee today, and then hopefully I shall be heading out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment