Search This Blog

Sunday 16 October 2011

A Night To Remember

No, I'm not referring to the film about the sinking of the Titanic, although I do actually verily like that film.  There's not many black & white films that I am keen on, but that is one of them.

Anyways, I digress.  The night to remember is, of course, my leaving do last night.  I was a bit reluctant to go on my scooter as it meant that I could only have one drink, but on reflection I'm glad that I did, as it meant I stayed sober all evening and can remember the entire thing :)  So to start - the outfit.
One of the guys did tell me at one point that I looked like a film director.  I have to be honest, I took that as a compliment, even if it wasn't intended as one lol  I really liked the look overall, so now I just need to start going out more often so I can wear this stuff some more.

So to start with we went to Frankie & Benny's at Broadway Plaza in town.  I had a bit of a panic as I was supposed to meet everyone at 6:00, but I was so busy teaching my family how to play Magic that I lost track of time, and when I checked my watch it was 5:00 and I still needed a bath, a shave, and to sort out my clothes.  But after a record-breaking mad dash I ended up getting there on the dot at 6:00, only to find that the table was actually booked for 6:30, so at least it gave me time to settle down at the bar with a diet coke.

So it got to 6:30, everyone got seated, though there were a couple of stragglers who didn't turn up until about 7:00.  All in all we had 10 people attending, so it was a decent turnout... group photo!!!
All in all Frankie & Benny's was a good experience.  Food was good, cocktail was top-notch, service was great, waitress was rather lovely ;) lol  And those bastards that I work with even arranged a "happy birthday" presentation for me, which obviously came as a bit of a shock.  And then came time for presents!  (I knew there was a reason I left that job! ;-p)
I have to admit I was kind of stunned by the range of pressies these guys got for me, I honestly didn't think they knew me as well as they obviously do.  Firstly I got a lovely card with a £30 Hotel Chocolat gift voucher in it, which was a pretty frikkin' epic win.  I'm going to try and be good though and save it for an end-of-season sale to get the most out of it!  Then my geeky gift was two shiney forests for my Magic the Gathering Elf deck.
I do love my shiney cards, and these were a very welcome addition to my collection.
Next up, was a supremely awesome 16-month Chuck Norris calender!  Because Chuck Norris is just too much for 12 months!

Eveyone knows I love Chuck Norris jokes, so this just made me laugh so much when I unwrapped it.  And bundled up with it was...
How to draw monsters :-D  I need to get back into drawing, and this might just give me the excuse I need.  And even if it doesn't it's got some awesome zombie artwork inside.
Then came a present which I'm amazed anyone thought of (I certainly wouldn't have!) and which was really cool...
Completely unexpected, but well done to the guys for thinking of it.  I've really enjoyed watching The Borgias on Sky Atlantic, but knew nothing of their true history, so now I have this massive tome to read through and find out the truth behind this intruiging family.  Of course the major downside is that I can't read any further than is covered by Season 1 of the series, otherwise it'll spoil the next season for me!  So I will have to be good and limit myself.
And then my final gift, courtesy of Suj.  A t-shirt with this wonderful slogan on it.  Hmm.
Of course if anyone didn't know either of us they'd just think we were a pair of nobs.  But it was of course meant as a joke and I took it as such.  Have to admit I'm fairly sure I'll never wear it though lol

So that was pressies.  W00t!  After F&B's we headed next door to Bowlplex for the rest of the night.  We got in at about 8:30, but the lanes were fully booked until 10:00, so we spent the time in the arcades and on the pool tables.  I had a couple of dances on the DDR machines - first to Cotton Eye Joe, and then to The Neverending Story.  I say this with no shame.  I did completely get my ass kicked, but then while everyone else was having their turns I noticed that someone had left 2 credits in the House of the Dead 4 machine, so I played on that for a bit before heading to the pool table.  By the time 10:00 struck there were only 5 of us bowling, but I think any more would have made the games drag on too long, so it was good.  I lost every game, but I had a good time, and I think I needed to let my hair down.  In the end it was just before midnight that we all went our seperate ways and I headed home.  Now I'm just looking forward to our sushi meetup next month!

So yeah.  That was my leaving do.  All fun and games, and nobody lost an eye.  Only bad thing to happen all evening was that one of my cowboy boots was irrepairably scuffed when a slightly tipsy Suj stood on my toes.  Honestly, I should have learned from my BBQ to give him a wide berth after he's been drinking lol

No comments:

Post a Comment