Search This Blog

Monday 15 April 2013

A new hobby

I have a new project/hobby! And there's nothing I love quite the same as a new project.
 
This weekend saw my birthday, and I have a tradition of always booking off the week surrounding my birthday.  This year it fell on a Sunday, so I booked the following week off, meaning I'm at home with a strict course of R&R for the next 7 days!  I've got season 2 of Game of Thrones and season 1 of The Borgias to watch, Volume 3 of the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files to read, and Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Revelations and III to play.  But I don't want to spend the entire week sat in front of the TV so I have something else to occupy my time.
 
MALIFAUX! :)
I used to play Warhammer 40,000 quite frequently, but drifted off when it became too expensive to keep up with new models and updated rule books.  I was always a slow painter anyway, and having a completely painted battleforce always eluded me.  I don't regret ever taking it up, as I still love the lore (as has been mentioned before), and I have a display cabinet full of beautifully painted miniatures, so getting back into the world of tabletop gaming seemed to be inevitable.
The beauty of Malifaux (as well as the wonderful steampunk style and fantastic universe in which it's set) is that it's very much a skirmish game.  Rather than opposing armies taking to the field of battle, small gangs engage eachother from city streets to sewers.  Even I can paint a team of 6 models!
As a zombie fan I'm leaning heavily towards the Resurrectionist faction as I pick my first gang, and I have it narrowed down to a shortlist of three:


Oh and the other beauty of this new hobby? It hasn't cost me a penny :) The rulebook and card deck were both birthday gifts from my friends Kayleigh and Dan, and when I choose my gang that'll be a gift off my friend Martin.  All I need is to dig out my old modelling/painting tools, buy a new tube of glue, and I've got myself a painting project for the week.  I'm going to make my gang decision tomorrow (as well as buy a few models which won't fit into my gang but will make beautiful display pieces), and then on Wednesday I'll get to work!
 
So expect more Malifaux updates in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment