Search This Blog

Thursday 18 November 2010

He really is darkly dreaming...

Considering how much I love writing, I don't seem to buy too many new books.  You'd think I would, out of professional courtesy if nothing else.  But as it stands I have a few dozen books which I love to read, and I just re-read them over and over again.  The Harry Potter books are firm favourites, as are Koji Suzuki's ring trilogy, Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts.  But last weekend I did something altogether unprecedented in my little world - I went into Waterstones and bought four brand new shiney books, none of which I'd ever read, and one of which I knew absolutely nothing about.  I decided to pick up the first book in Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series, and then when I saw they were on 3 for 2 I ended up buying the first three instead; Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter, and Dexter in the Dark.  And then I got to the counter to discover that if you were buying anything at all, you could get The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo half price, so that ended up in my basket as well.

I love the Dexter TV series, which is why I wanted to read the books and see where it all started, and I have to say that Dexter in the books is a much darker creature!  He's still a wonderful character, but I think the word "monster" is much easier applied to him in the books than the series.  I think the first-person perspective helps - unlike the show where everyone's doing their own thing, in the books you're purely getting Dexter's thoughts and perspectives on everything that goes on.  I have to say that at the moment I'm absolutely loving it :)  I wouldn't say I like the book (I am still only on Darkly Dreaming Dexter) more than the series, but I wouldn't say I like the series more than the book either.  They're both fantastically entertaining in their own ways.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that with you.  You can go back to you normal, Rob-free, lives now :)  Unless you're name/a family member's name is also Rob, in which case you should probably make sure that you/they are still a part of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment