Search This Blog

Saturday 2 June 2012

Today I met legends.


Today was a pretty good day as far as my autograph collecting went, as I attended my first Collectormania in Milton Keynes.  Let me say first of all that it was a truly poorly organised event.  The car park was a shambles with people just parking up wherever they fancied and no system of marshalls to keep things in order, and once you got inside it was pretty much the same in terms of the arrangement and the system for meeting guests.
However, once all of that was out of the way I did meet some pretty darned awesome guests :)

First up I met Carl Weathers, the man who played Apollo Creed in the Rocky series and Dillon in the first Predator film.  Both were films I loved while growing up, and I'm still a big Rocky fan so it was fantastic to meet him.
Second up I met the legend that is Lance Henriksen (above). I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect from him, but he was a thoroughly bloody nice bloke :) He was the only person I was able to get a photo with and I was able to have a decent little chat with him (even if it was largely about how rubbish the weather was!). I very nearly didn't meet him today due to a tight budget, but I was extremely glad I took the chance now.
Then thirdly I met Sean Astin, who you may know as Sam from Lord of the Rings, or maybe even Mikey from The Goonies! Unfortunately he had such a big queue of fans that it was a bit like a production line; you handed over your picture and a slip of paper with your name on it, he'd sign an autograph, hand it over and move onto the next person. This did feel like it was an organisational thing rather than Sean's choice, but it was a bit of a shame not to be able to stop and chat for a few moments. I did get a handshake off him though, and of course one more autograph towards my Lord of the Rings collection.

Would I go back to Collectormania? Absolutely not. As an event it was a miserable experience, even though the guests were all cracking people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment